BARSC Championships – Tignes, Val Claret, 27 December 2014 (Update)



Latest update from the BARSC races. 27 December 2015

The current situation is that is snowing heavily down to about 500 metres. The road to Tignes is blocked but it is anticipated it will reopen either on either the 28th or the 29th. We have spoken to les Arcs, they are only able to propose a resort led, single run GS “with animations!” on the evening of 1st January. This will be open to all clients in the resort of they choose to take part. We have therefore confirmed our conversations with Tignes.


The 1st Team Captains meeting will take place as planned on 27th December in Seminar Room Bellecote in Hotel Golf at 19.30. We realise that this may be difficult for some people because of the current road conditions and major delays caused by the snow and the number of incidents. No decision to pull racers will be made at that meeting and we will try to update people by mail/dropbox /Facebook. We will aim to make the draw in Les ARCS at about 18.30 and to publish the start list and the programme for each day after that. We will aim to email and post in Dropbox.


We will be racing on the FIS competition piste Stade de Lognan, we will use the DH and SG starts and all drops will be to BASS specifications. Uplift will be by the Tichot and Grattalu lifts and return will be to the bottom of the stade and back up to the start. There is ample snow high up, and the resort continue to work to consolidate it, but the snow on the lower part of the stade, although fine for ski-ing is not consolidated or deep enough to set a course and to ski gates. Timing will be on the hill but relayed to the timing hut at Val Claret and we hope to have either a video display panel or a white board to show provisional times.


The weather forecast is for the snow to clear and for the temperature to drop. It is anticipated that it may drop to -15 or -20 in Tignes. It is essential that racers, parents and volunteers are prepared for the cold, this includes clothing and as far as possible drinks and snacks.


Due to the pre-Christmas conditions, especially on the lower slopes we are not able to start the races until 30th December. It would have been possible to run the race but not to return to the village! See for all details.



UPDATE 3    25th Dec:

The ROC have  just spoken to Tignes, the forecast is for some snow and for it to be cold.

The top of the Stade where we intend to race is fine, the issue has always been getting off the mountain.

The resort is now confident that, subject to conditions, they will be able to make enough snow on the lower part of the Stade to allow a return to the lift system.

However they are not confident that they can do this in time for a first race on 28th, our intention is therefore to play safe and to re-programme.

The new programme will therefore be to race on 30th, 31st and 1st  At this stage I am not sure about the detail, 2 GS and 1 Sl or 2 GS and a Kombi or 1 SL, 1GS and 1 Kombi. We will finalise this with the resort after I arrive and we will aim to enable anyone entered to switch entries if they wish. In the meantime all information will be posted in Dropbox and signposted on Twitter and Faceb

27 December 2014 – 1st January 2015

Tignes, Val Claret, FRANCE


Due to the current snow condition across the western Alps the BARSC Championships will relocate to TIGNES. Competitors and their families can maintain  their booked accommodation as Tignes is about 35/40 minutes from Bourg and 55/60 from 1800. We will be using the Stade de Lognan in Val Claret which will be the site of the British Championships later in the season.

The weather and snow conditions in the Alps so far this season are very unusual. Although the early season is sometimes difficult at low altitudes, the conditions this year extend high up the mountains and many resorts are struggling.

The acceptance list for the BARSC Championships can be found by clicking HERE. All 13 girls and 32 boys have been accepted.

Late Entries will be accepted up to the maximum entry allowance of 140 competitors per race. ALL ENTRIES received after 10th December 2014 WILL INCUR A PENALTY OF £ 20.00/Eur 25.00 PER COMPETITOR, PER RACE. However, this will not apply to racers already on the acceptance list. 

Print pagePDF pageEmail page

Permanent link to this article: